So an atheist drops a mind blowing paradox on Christians and we don’t have an answer. Striving to be an apologist, I have taken the opportunity to somewhat explain the error that many believe in…
If God can do anything, then He can make a rock huge and heavy enough that He himself cannot carry.
The above paradox had many Roman mythologists stupefied. It’s obvious they did not understand God and hence made a paradox that is used widely today to deny the existence of God himself.
First of all, do we really believe God can do anything and everything? The answer is NO.
Immediately, you might place me as a heretical blasphemer, but here are the 5 things that God cannot do:
- He cannot change. He is the same throughout time and His word never changes. (1 Samuel 15:29/Malachi 3:6/Hebrews 7:21/James 1:17)
- He cannot lie. God is truth so lying would be a contrary nature. (Numbers 23:19/Titus 1:2/Hebrews 6:18/1 John 2:21)
- He cannot go against your will. God is a gentleman. He won’t violate your free will. (Revelations 3:20)
- He cannot go against his word. His word will remain forever and will never vanish. (Matthew 24:35)
- God cannot do evil. He is righteous and just in all of His ways. He is holy. (2 Thessalonians 1:6/2 Timothy 4:8)
So we that God in His very nature is consistent and not like the waves of the sea tossed back and forth. He is Truth. He is Life. It is highly probably that lies and death will have a problem with Him.
So in conclusion, how do we solve a paradox that is considered to deny the existence of God in the minds of those who believe the illogical? Not only is a paradox considered an ‘impossible situation’ but it is also found to contradictory. So if God Almighty creates a huge rock that Jesus cannot carry because He came in the flesh, yet the Father can lift it, we come across another paradox. That God can and cannot carry the rock. This shouldn’t surprise us as God is Himself the author of many paradoxes:
- In order to gain everything, you must lose everything.
- In order to save your life you must lose it. (Matthew 10:39)
- In order to live, you must die.
- We find God, yet continue to seek Him
- The greatest is the least
- Freedom is when we become a servant of God
Hence, Christianity can never be a logical relationship, It is based entirely on Love. Love has no explanation but only action, that which we see at the Cross of Calvary.